“Mad World is Europe’s only solutions focused conference and exhibition with a clear mission: to eradicate stigma and spark a new era of mental health and well-being in the workplace”
The inaugural event in October 2018 provided a stimulating meeting of minds, blending commercial imperatives with practitioner expertise and the millennial mind-set.
Attitudes towards mental health conditions in UK workplaces are improving, but more resources are needed. One point that was greatly stressed at the event was how imperative it was to have the support of the CEO or at the very least a senior level sponsor, if mental health initiatives in the workplace are to have real traction across the organisation.
As Sir Ian Cheshire, Chairman, Barclays UK, urged attendees in his opening keynote “Ruthlessly target your CEO. If you don’t get your CEO on board, frankly this is all quite nice but quite hard to do”.
This is where CiC can help. Our Account Managers are available to talk to senior management teams about the benefits of the Employee Assistance Programmes, and how they can be used to support the mental health of your organisation.
Some of the most interesting points from the day included:
– Mental health is the leading cause of sickness absence in the UK, costing an average of £1,035 per employee per year (https://www.time-to-change.org.uk/get-involved/get-your-workplace-involved/employer-pledge)
– Organisations promoting wellbeing are three and a half times more likely to be creative and innovative (https://www.bupa.co.uk/~/media/Images/Business/bupa-for-business-hub-may-17/wellbeing-edit/Bupa-Wellbeing-Edit-2017-FINAL.pdf)
– 53% of millennials say a healthy work-life balance would make them stay at their job (https://blog.accessperks.com/millennial-employee-engagement-loyalty-statistics-the-ultimate-collection)
– The Thriving at Work report puts the annual cost to the UK economy of poor mental health at up to £99bn, of which about £42bn is borne by employers (https://blog.accessperks.com/millennial-employee-engagement-loyalty-statistics-the-ultimate-collection)
– Anxiety and depression among workers in the UK has hit a record high, rising by nearly a third in the last four years (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/depression-uk-stats-figures-anxiety-record-high-a7991056.html)
If you’d like to find out any more information about the event, please visit http://www.madworldforum.com/.
For further information on CIC’s employee assistance programmes, contact the team on 020 7937 6224 or fill out our quick form below.